My Dog Ate Marijuana And I’m Worried Sick

When I came home from lunch today, the first thing I noticed were piles of throw up around the house. Then I heard my dog thumping up the stairs. The minute he got to the top step, he slumped over. I could tell he was having trouble walking because he wasn’t able to pull himself up right. 

My heart raced.  I had no idea what was wrong, but all of the articles I’ve written on the side effects of poisoning, heart disease, seizures, came rushing to mind.  I had no idea that he had eaten about 1/4 cup of cannabis butter!   It wasn’t until we came home this afternoon before we noticed the empty container on the floor. 

I phoned the veterinarian’s office immediately to tell them what we’d discovered. Now I just hope they can nurse him back to health. 

MY DOG ATE MARIJUANA BECAUSE I WAS STUPID AND DIDN’T PUT IT AWAY.

He was absolutely fine this morning before I left for work.  I even had time to throw the ball for him a few times. Just a regular workday morning. 

A lot changed in just a few hours!

I came home for lunch as I always do. One of my dogs, a golden lab, greeted me at the door, tail wagging.  I called for Coco, and a few seconds later I heard him lumbering up the stairs from the basement. 

What I saw next terrified me. 

He slumped at the top step while having head twitches. He looked at me and when I went over to him, he flinched back.  It was just lucky that my husband came home from work early today because he had to carry Coco to the truck.  Coco weights about 77 pounds – more than I can lift.

WAIT OR PAY FOR AN EMERGENCY VETERINARIAN?

I called the veterinarian right away and told her the symptoms. 

“You could bring him in at 3:45 pm today,” the friendly woman offered.

“No!” I said.  “He needs to be seen right now!”

She told me I’d have to pay the $100 extra fee to bring in the emergency vet.  “DO IT!” I said. 

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF MARIJUANA POISONING IN DOGS

Coco is experiencing these symptoms right now. 

  • weakness 
  • limited responsiveness
  • seizures
  • sunken eyes
  • bloodshot eyes
  • bradycardia which is a very slow heart rate.
  • No Fever 
  • anxiety/panic 
  • fear 

I HUGGED AND KISSED MY DOG IN CASE IT MIGHT BE THE LAST TIME I SEE HIM .

Coco was splayed out on a blanket on the floor in the examination room, and my husband was spooned up behind him, quietly reassuring him, gently stroking his fur.  I sat next to him, perched on my knees, my palm pressed to his chest so that I could feel reassured at the beating of his heart. 

LOTS OF QUESTIONS

We wracked our brains trying to think of what Coco could have possibly gotten into.  We had no idea he’d opened a small container of weed butter. 

Rat Poison?  No! We don’t keep anything like that around the house.

Was he outside? No! We keep the dogs in the house when we are out.

Cleaners/bleach/toxins? No, no, and no.  With two dogs and a cat, we’re very careful about not leaving things like antifreeze around the house.  Apparently, however, I’m not smart enough to put ALL toxic items out of his reach.

I THINK WE GOT LUCKY THIS TIME!

All of Coco’s blood tests came back normal with one exception:  He tested positive for Lyme Disease. HOWEVER, because his kidneys are functioning well, the veterinarian says it isn’t the Lyme Disease causing this reaction. 

 I Didn’t Realize He Had Eaten Marijuana Butter Until Later. 

My husband and I left our dog at the hospital and came home to have a look around. We both noticed the empty container on the floor at the same time.  I called the veterinarian back ASAP and told her what we’d discovered. 

“What was that?” she said.

“Weed butter,” I replied.  

“OH!” she said.  “OKAY…that would do it.  I’ll let the doctor know so we can start appropriate treatment.” 

I AM MORE WORRIED AND AFRAID THAN I’VE EVER BEEN…

If you’ll read my About Me page, you’ll see that I have a long-standing problem with anxiety. I take antidepressants, and my doctor prescribed Ativan, but I think a little bit of cannabis butter works just as good as the Ativan and is likely safer. 

EXCEPT WHEN THE DOG EATS IT!

This is all my fault!  I hope he comes out of it with no permanent damage. My god what a fool I am! It would have only taken me a couple of seconds to put it away! 

Everything I’ve written on poisons, Lyme Disease, toxins, seizures, and heart failure came rushing to mind. I was sure it had to be one of those things.  But, every test the ran was inconclusive. 

THE TREATMENT PLAN FOR COCO:

He’s going to stay the night at the animal hospital where he’ll be administered lots of water through an IV. They’ll use charcoal to bind the poison and hopefully prevent it from doing any damage. 

The only thing that makes me breath a sigh of relief at this point is the fact that his blood tests were all excellent. That means there’s no damage to his organs, which means there’s hope. 

I’m terrified.  I’m not going to lie to you right now. I think I might be a little in shock or something, too.  I’m feeling kind of numb and afraid at the same time.  Please, just let him be okay.  He is such a special dog!

He’s only 7 years old and I’m not ready to let him go just yet.

This is a good lesson for everyone! If you haven’t read my posts on poisonous foods, plants, and toxins, take a minute now and do it! Get rid of anything poisonous, even if your dog never bothers with the stuff.  You just never know!

From now on, I am committed to PUTTING MY STUFF AWAY so that the dogs can’t get into anything again. Not on my watch.

PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH OTHER DOG LOVERS/OWNERS. I hope you’ll think of Coco and wish him well.

Coco Falling Asleep
Coco – Pit Mix